Good and bad reasons to become an entrepreneur
I’m Jefrey, a dream developer and entrepreneur.
Lot of times I have been asked why I am an entrepreneur and most of those times I don’t have a good answer, basically because of the amount of difficulties an entrepreneur has to face. Trying to answer that question, today, I want to write some false myths about entrepreneurship (so those are not reasons why I am an entrepreneur) and the reasons why I have been an entrepreneur for more than four years. Although my intention is not to write a guide, these facts could help you decide whether or not to become an entrepreneur.
Myths about entrepreneurship – Bad reasons to become an entrepreneur
· You are the boss— false, everybody else is your boss; even worse is that you have multiple bosses: investors, customers, advisors, etc.
· Being an entrepreneur can help you manage your time— false, you will have to work at least 14 hours a day and maybe make no money.
· Being an entrepreneur is cool— false, it’s only cool until you have to pay employees and providers and your credit card bill is due. Don’t do it because it is “cool,” do it because you believe in it.
· Everybody can be an entrepreneur — false. Entrepreneurs need a special personality to overcome great difficulties. They will need tolerance for failure, flexible thinking, passion and more.
After reading this, you might be saying, “there is no reason to become an entrepreneur.” Several people have told me as much. However, these are my reasons why I keep doing this:
- I like big challenges: I want to get where few can get
- I like difficulties: they make me think seriously and test myself
- I like risk: it is adventure for me
- I like to dream: it keeps me alive
- I like to help others: I feel great when I create jobs and solutions for people
- I am passionate about entrepreneurship: I really, really enjoy it.
As you can see, my reasons come more from personal likes than external factors like money or connections. Even though I understand there are all kinds of entrepreneurs, I truly believe that being an entrepreneur is a matter of personality rather than money or skills.
There you have it! If you have thoughts about why you are an entrepreneur or want to make a comment please write. I will be writing more post about entrepreneurship, the tech world, business, investment and related topics.
Before closing, I would like to announce an exciting change in my life. After 26 years living in my home country of Colombia, I am following my heart and moving to New York city. Inspired by love and my own dreams, I am sure a lot of adventures are ahead of me. I am looking forward to getting involved in the startup scene in the Big Apple.